
3. Are the terms artwork and document always or ever in opposition? Can a photograph be both?Artwork and documents are only in opposition as long as they are being interpreted by one person. The moment someone else's position on a photograph or and event comes into play they become the same thing. To one person "Piss Christ" (I believe that is the name, forgive me if I am wrong ) is a piece of art, to another it is an insulting example of the immorality or heathenism of some people today. Both artwork and documents tell a story, whether it be the mental state of the artist, the way in which s/he views the world or a physical recording of an event or subject. A photograph or piece of art can be both artwork and a document, but the interpretation as to what the piece is will remain as long as there are differing opinions.
This is a little confusing Dom. Is it possible that you meant to write: "Artwork and documents are NOT in opposition as long as they are being interpreted by one person?" It's not that I disagree with what you wrote; I'm just having a difficult time figuring out your position.
ReplyDelete