Sunday, January 10, 2010

Picturebook Proposal


For my Picture book I would like to show the moment of stepping out into the cold on winter morning. In the morning, when I am often running late and hurrying to finish whatever I managed to grab for breakfast, I open the door before me and am struck with that first cold gust of wind, chilling me to my bones.

I intend for my pictures to show the chill that strikes those of us who go out for a morning walk or even just out to a car not parked in a garage. With the temperature dropping below freezing, we brave souls venture out into an inhospitable world of ice, snow and wind. As I walk the flagpoles clinks as the metal securing the flag strikes the pole, I hear the birds hurriedly flapping their wings in fear of me, the approaching stranger, or the squirrels scampering into the undergrowth for similar reasons.

The crunch of the snow, still loud in my ears, cannot drown out the sound of the wind as I watch great drifts of snow get blown away by it. My view is temporarily blocked by the fog created as I breathe out, a process that is repeated multiple times before I reach my objective. A smell of pine permeates the air, often overlaid with the smell of wood smoke wafting out of the chimney and, rarely, the exhaust from one of the county’s many snowplows.

On my first step off of the porch I slip on some unseen and unsalted ice, losing my balance, but catching myself before I truly fall. I can feel the ridges of the many layers of ice that coat the railing, which I just caught myself with. The slowly falling white snow tickling my face before is melts, only to be replaced by more of the falling snow.

All of my photographs could be taken at my house, though I will probably take some at school, or even alongside the road. As for props, my some of my proposed picture rely heavily on animal (or county) life, but considering the recent weather, i do not forsee it being a difficulty in getting pictures of snow drifts, snow falling or plows. As for animal life, i have an abundant natural supply outside and actually experience the described moment most days. The lighting for this would be completely natural lighting. The time of day would not really affect these images too much as long as i kept away from sunrise, sunset, or night.
Some picture ideas:

Wind creating large drifts of snow
Smoke coming from a chimney
Birds taking flight
Squirrels scampering
A person breathing out, creating fog
Ice or snow covered Pine Trees
Snowplow salting
Icy steps
Icy Railing
Outside thermometer
Snow hitting a persons face
Footprints in the snow
Car Dashboard Ice warning

1 comment:

  1. This is a great proposal, Dom. I especially like how you've paid special attention to the sound/feel/smell/etc. of this moment. Your prose is lovely!

    ReplyDelete